Tuesday, June 12, 2012

a different kind of design: kristin fowler.

Hello! I’m Kristin Fowler and a  2011 graduate from Meredith College. 
I’m a full-time graphic and freelance designer. As a designer, regardless of medium and platform of interest, I share an appreciation for like-minded thinkers and creative processes. Therefore, my interest in fashion design is of no surprise. 

However, as a graphic designer, I’m in constant search of inspiration and various ways to improve my skill set and detailed eye for design aesthetic. On any given weekday, you can find me searching for informational blogs, quotes and websites as well as geekin’ out over typefaces, color, compositions and articles about design and its impact on the world.


My consistent motivation and passion derives from the Raleigh community where I am a member of AIGA Raleigh and on their elected board. I serve as the Co-Director for Emerging Designer programming as well as being a board member of the Contemporaries at the North Carolina Museum of Art. Within these roles, I’m privileged to engage with community members and have the ability to soak up the creative talent of what the Triangle has to offer. I sincerely enjoy being a part of something greater and utilizing my talent to serve the good of those around me. From this, I’ve found a sincere personal satisfaction of encouraging design-driven social change. 


As with every designer or creative, there is always someone to whom you look to as a role model. With that said, my favorite designer is Massimo Vignelli. Vignelli is an Italian designer and has set the standard for what great design is — you’ll find his design work ranges from furniture to packaging all the way to environmental, product and simple graphic design. I often share this quote, “The life of a designer is a life of fight: fight against the ugliness.” Regardless of the wording, the interpretation is what is of honest meaning: ugliness being aesthetic, worldviews, personal hang-ups, etc. In order to make a change, you have to fight for what you believe in. Therefore, this led me to the involvement with the White Out Lung Cancer Fashion Show. 


When Jordan asked me to be involved and to contribute design work for the event, I was thrilled. This provided me with a realistic opportunity to design for good and be inspired by her story, amongst many others. My grandmother passed away from lung cancer without having smoked a single cigarette in her entire life. In honor of Jordan’s mother and my grandmother, I couldn’t turn down the opportunity to spread the word about such a meaningful event and encourage others to do the same.

With that said, being a designer, instills a sense of hope for the future. A hope that secures a sense of peace in the minds of others that there will be a cure for some of the most harmful diseases in the world. My hope is that I’ve encouraged others to spread the message of lung cancer and feel the impact that it makes on families around the world — to establish a support network of those who’ve felt this disease turn their lives upside down but to live with hope knowing that a cure is in the future of those who aspire to design for change

Please head over here to visit Kristin and check out her fantastic work for KFowler Design. 

No comments:

Post a Comment